Thursday, January 19, 2017

Things You Learn When You Pay Attention


The world around us is amazing, and despite the "sameness" that many situations in your life may acquire, it's a good idea to pay attention to details. I worked this one out in my mind when I was on a walk this morning, admiring the snow, which could have been outside of my usual. I mean here in New Hampshire, snow falls, it accumulates, you end up really sick of it, and sooner or later it goes away. I can honestly say that I never really admired it before, or even took an opportunity to try and understand why it is the way it is. Even when you grow sick of it, there are still fascinating differences about it, worth looking at.

A little history here, I guess, but the last few years we have had snow on top of snow on top of snow, followed by more snow. I know it's all because of global warming and all, but it has been sickening how much snow we have had the last couple of years, and in all honesty it was just like it was 30 years before that and 30 years before that. The only real cycles that the world goes through are the obvious ones, or the ones that everyone ignores to make some sort of point. The last time we were in the blizzard mounted, piles and piles of snow mode, I was a child, and 5 feet of snow on the ground was a hell of a lot of fun. As an adult it was a hell of a lot of work, and unlike when I was a child to enjoy it, it made me a little grumpy. As that cycle has passed we are in the varying types of snow winter now. This is what brought me the idea to write this.

Yesterday it started snowing in the wee hours of the morning and it snowed until the wee hours of this morning. It was different, it didn't dump snow like a blizzard, it merely trickled it. In 24 hours it didn't stop snowing, but it was so meandering that in 24 whole hours we didn't even get a foot. The temperature didn't even seem cold enough to merit snow, but it was snow indeed. Light, wet, never ending snow that wasn't enough to accumulate, and as you can see in the picture above it is quite beautiful, as well as being quite damaging. I mean that snow sticks to everything. There isn't much to shovel, but damn it is heavy. It looks like cotton balls as it rests on everything, but as you can see it bends over all the trees because it is heavy and sticky. It's not that I haven't noticed this type of "snow" before, it's just that despite all of the snow we have had, this type is just different.

As stupid as it sounds, I am just proud of myself for noticing this. I'm happy that I took a moment to admire the beauty of this. Now I can get back to wishing it would stop snowing and I can wear less clothing. I am still selfish after all, and even beautiful snow is a pain in the ass.