Saturday, April 23, 2016

Not on a Dare


par·a·dox [ˈperəˌdäks] - NOUN - a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory: "a potentially serious conflict between quantum mechanics and the general theory of relativity known as the information paradox"

I was unimpressed with the slate of talk shows on the radio this morning (yes I am boring) so I decided to fire up the Sirius and listen to a little Octane. Now usually this is a mindless endeavor that has very little bearing on my life, but a song came on, prefaced by the lead singer of the band explaining the meaning of the song. Yeah I never expect heady stuff from the latest hard rock bands, and I can't even remember the name of the song or the band, but then again they have little to do with this too. No it was the meaning of the song that spark almost an entire four seconds of rebuttal, and then gave me something to think about until I wrote this.

The song apparently was about a conundrum which to me turned into a paradox. The premise was "what if you were offered God-like powers in return for losing your one true love?" and as I had said about four second I even said aloud, "Not on a dare," then was rather pleased with how easily that came out of my mouth and how I didn't spend another second on the "conundrum" because the answer was "factual" and the alternative is a paradox. Why is it a paradox? Well that is because I only know true love for the last five of forty-six years. In other words, it would have seemed like an easier answer to the affirmative for a longer portion of my life than an easy answer to the negative now.

In reality, yes I would have jumped at that offer back in my years before my current marriage, and now it just seems silly. Your entire life is proven to be a paradox as time transpires. Could you picture your life without your children despite how much you loath them at times? Of course not, but on many occasions throughout our "parenthood" experiment we would have liked a break from it. You'd be lying if you didn't see that. I could see many times when an ex-wife or two was a really bad decision, but could I have seen that at the time? Well I could tell you that I would have traded them all for my God-like superpowers in a heartbeat. Now I have these conversations about how stupid it would be and how I like my life, just as it is now. Especially when I come home to do laundry and find a note like that (above) on the washing machine waiting for me.

Put a price tag on that folks ....