Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Frustration of Not Creating

Apparently this picture means infinity - it's not what I was looking for but it's pretty cool.

This one is particularly for those other creators (which many blog readers are), to see if you feel the same way I do.

I get frustrated at myself when I'm not creating.

Like most other people, I don't have limitless amounts of free time.  Between my job, family, and other commitments, I generally have a couple of hours a day to spend as I want (which I also fully appreciate is more than a lot of other people).  So this time is typically spent reading, watching stuff, or playing games.

But I always feel as though I ought to be creating something, whether it's a blog, a video, a story - whatever.  I ought to have something to show for my time.

The difficulty is however that unless you are experiencing things, you don't have anything to write about.  Train journeys I often find the best time for me to have ideas, probably because I don't take them very often so it's a different experience, and I have a pen and paper to hand.

As I write this I've done something really unusual for me, and spent an hour just going through my YouTube subscriptions, actually watching some videos from the people that I subscribe to.  And you know what?  Some of the stuff up there is really great.  And it's given me ideas for my own videos.

I strongly believe in the need to experience stuff in order to create stuff, no matter whatever your realm of creativity.  I recall watching a documentary about a UK comedian, Peter Kay, and about how he'd built up a pile of notes about things that could be funny, then go on holiday for two weeks and spend the time sat by the pool, working through a carrier bag full of scraps of paper with ideas on, putting a show together. (please accept my apologies if this is totally wrong, one of my defining features is the ability to put together an entirely false memory that I'll swear blind is true!)

But despite knowing this, I still feel bad if I'm spending my time consuming material rather than writing - it's a very rare occurrence, for example, that I watch a film, because that's virtually an entire evening spent watching one thing, I'll only do it if I'm accompanying someone else.

Is this something that other creators suffer from?  What's your approach for dealing with this?  Have a say in the comments and let me know.