Sunday, August 9, 2015

Life's Funny Go Live It

The Wild Crow in His Native Habitat ...
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, a Russian composer and one of the most iconic figures in nineteenth century classical music. His entire life was a tragedy that could have only been written by the Greeks, and by today’s standards you would be lax to think of any classical composer that has more of a profound influence on music as a whole. The fact that I taught myself to play the piano was completely because I wanted to play the many pieces by Tchaikovsky. Most people would find that strange since composers like Chopin or Mozart were known for their piano skills and Tchaikovsky was not, but growing up I had a piano, and Tchaikovsky was the only composer that moved me.

The big problem for Tchaikovsky was the plague of sorrow that befell him, the fact that he was living in a country that was falling apart, and the worst of it all, he was very unpopular in his day. Yes, the man who created the 1812 overture, the Ballad of Romeo and Juliette and probably the most iconic of them all The Nutcracker Suite, was considered a failure for most of his life. Rumor has it that he was more famous for being a failure at attempting suicide, until it probably did kill him in the end. One of the things he hated the most in his own life (theoretically) was the fact that he was forced to earn a living as a critic. I completely get this, as most people should note that I very rarely critique other people’s work. I feel it is beneath me, or more importantly, I feel it is beneath the people I know.

Honesty dictates that most of the people I know online are actually better writers than I am. I have never actually eluded to anything different. My critiques of “that is great” or “puts me to shame” is actually true for anyone who thinks it is false modesty. What I am a master at is perseverance and packaging, and when I give any form of tip or advice I am simply trying to get someone into a better position to be read, because their writing deserves it, and often time more than my own. The only thing that separates me from all of the far superior writers in my life is the effort and tenacity to be noticed. I often get pissed off when people only notice the first part and not the second part, but that is my own inner Tchaikovsky rearing its ugly head.

Lately I have had to really separate myself from the things that I do online because they have become blurred in a way. I’m sure there have been some people that look at every new venture as “oh God, here he goes into another tangent,” but believe it or not there is always method to my madness. When I started writing 10 years ago I was simply doing it for the heck of it, and then I was doing it so that I could act smart or bitch about things. Somewhere along the way I started actually having meaning to what I write, but there was too many subjects and some of them were more serious than the rest of what I did. Of course separating my blogs was the best thing I ever did, but it left a lot of room for cross over.


Lately I had to separate the Health Whacko from the rest of what I do, and that was part accident part purposeful. My YouTube channel filled up with so many videos that were about working out that the 700+ subscribers that I had (who had subscribed for political and personal stuff) were getting kind of crabby about it, and if I threw anything personal or political in there the people who subscribed for the healthy stuff would get really nasty tempered about it. Again I needed to separate and I never thought I would do anything on YouTube much less enough for two channels. Fortunately I am good at starting over and don’t mind being unpopular, if it is for the right reasons. Please don’t take it the wrong way if I keep evolving at a rate that is completely misunderstood. I mean nothing by it, but unlike my idol Tchaikovsky I intend to do everything I can to make this life of mine valuable to me, and try to bring as many people as I can along for the ride.