Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Death of Harry Osborn


One of the things that the Marvel Universe brought to children of my generation, and generations prior to mine was different morality codes, and a blurred area between black and white. The most important thing it did on top of all that was clearly showed that there was a difference between black and white, regardless of all those shades of gray in between them. It was after all possible to stay within the shades of gray and reach towards either black or white, and even if you had little opinions of what the gray meant, you still understood that all things leaned towards the black and the white. As confusing as that may sound it gave me a form of clarity that we lack today. This is why I bring up Harry Osbourne because he was a character in the Marvel Universe that was most noted for his darkness, but did strive to find the light, if only in the beginning and the end. It also explains a big part of the inner struggle of a character named Jeremy Crow.

Spider Man was actually a complex character who was in fact a teenager, so he acted like a teenager, who just so happened to have demons that drove him in one way or another. His childhood friend Harry Osborn was driven pretty much the same, but unfortunately allowed his demons to take him in the wrong direction, and as the title of this blog would detail, it ended up killing him in the end. His saving grace was that he had actually died trying to do the right thing. It was all a series of events that started when his father (Norman Osborn) killed the love of Peter Parker’s (Spider Man’s) life, Gwen Stacey. You can go through all of the analogies of the insanity that Norman Osborn had caused when he took the serum that turned him into the Green Goblin, but in the end he did in fact kill Gwen Stacey, which created a whole new level of drama in a Spider Man who was hell bent on killing Norman Osborn.

For Peter Parker it was too late for him to understand what he had done, after killing Norman Osborn, he decided that it was best to let Harry Osborn think of his father as a great man and not the Green Goblin, which left Harry Osborn to think Spider Man had killed his father. In the world of comic books, it created the drama later on when Harry Osborn became the Green Goblin, and riddled with the same insanity that had overtaken his father, he set out on the goal of killing Spider Man. These were the types of drama that inspired a pre-teenage boy to understand that there is a difference between black and white, and the gray areas are simply a place in between that all flawed human beings will find themselves from time to time. I appreciate that clarity that these moments in my childhood gave me even if I had to become an adult to appreciate them.

It’s been almost four years since I wrote the last Superdaddyman blog. I released it and deleted it that same day, and to be honest with you I never even saved it. It is lost in an old computer that I have since reformatted and given to my son. In the four years since I haven’t missed Superdaddyman much, and in the last six months as my blogging has become a more important part of my life since it had been at that point in my life, I would be lying if I said that the Green Goblin mask sitting in the corner of the room didn’t talk to me. It tells me that what the world needs is more Superdaddyman, not less, and a majority of the people reading this right now don’t have a clue what I am talking about, because Superdaddyman is every bit as dead as Harry Osborn. Of course he wasn’t as famous and had no social bearing on society as we know it. It just feels weird some days.

As you look at this version of Jeremy Crow, and you wonder what makes him tick, just remember there was an old version of Jeremy Crow that was full of ticks. He sat in a basement rattling away at a keyboard trying to escape the reality that he hated so much, by creating super stories of a super hero that was more flawed than he was super. The new Jeremy Crow doesn’t even know who he is yet, but he does know that he doesn’t sit in a basement hating life, he strives for the light, and his Gwen Stacey had never died. He just hadn’t met her yet, and even if she was the one that was reading that last blog dedicated to the Superdaddyman and all of the chaos he created for his own amusement, she was right when she told this Jeremy Crow, that he was better than that. Now if I can just get rid of that mask in the corner, I’ll be all set.