Monday, June 1, 2015

Jeremy Crow on Auto Awesome: Vol. 2

My walks outside are one of my most treasured daily rituals. Rain, snow, sunshine, wind, or just about any other sort of weather and I make sure I log at least 10,000 steps each day. There are many reasons for this but most notably is the fact that my back doesn’t appreciate my desk job, as much as I would have thought it would. Simply getting up and walking for a few thousand steps every few hours probably keeps me upright on my days off. The most important part of the walking I do is to make sure that it is on something other than the miles of cement that the inside of my factory affords me. That isn’t too hard when the factory that you work at is basically in the middle of nowhere.

There is a nice path out back of where I work, where I can take a walk to the pond where we get all of our water for the plant processes. The ground is soft, and my hips and back really appreciate that. During the really heavy rains I can usually only make it about half of the way there because the road is washed out, but when the ground finally soaks most of it up and I can make it all the way back there, I have a whole different world of creatures waiting for me. Birds, rabbits, deer, fox and a stray fisher now and then are the norm, but after a good night of raining like I had last night, I get to check out the frogs, turtles, salamanders, worms, snakes and other slimy things that boys like to play with. Change is good.

Of course the most amusing part about looking at all of the creepy crawlies that are around on a day like this is that it takes me back to when I was a little Jeremy, and these were the types of creatures I lived to run into. I’m pretty sure they weren’t all that thrilled to cross my path, because they were going to be my pets whether they liked it or not. I even remember the fun of going to the local bogs and getting tadpoles out of the water and bringing them home to see what became of them. Sometimes you would get a frog, sometimes a newt, but every once in a while you would get a big old tiger salamander out of them. God those were cool.

What I really miss are the crawfish that used to walk around the parking lot here. You can thank the beavers for my lack of amusement at the crawfish, all six inches of them standing up on their hind tail and clicking their claws at me whenever I got close to them. As fun as the beavers are, they have a tendency to block off the streams that bring in the crawfish, and then you are left with a memory of the funny little creatures, and less actual experience with them. Of course you do get a lot more turtles when the beavers create bigger ponds, but turtles aren’t all that much fun when they hide in their shells anyway.

I really have no idea what brought me along this path, but I started off with the idea that I would write something to go with my Auto Awesome picture of my daily walk, and this is what I got. Don’t say I never warned you that some people can just pull a blog out of their ass, at a moment’s notice. Making it interesting is the hard part. If you made it this far, then you might want to know that those pictures taken from my GalaxyGear Watch Camera, was me chasing a robin and trying to get a good picture of it. I am quite easily amused some days.