Thursday, June 18, 2015

Because I Do


My wife in all of her wonderful mystery often asks me the easiest question that I get on a day to day basis, “Why do you love me?” I can’t, for the life of me, factor what the answer should be as she would like it to be framed, because love to me is just a constant. The obvious answer is, “Because I do,” and the rest is just a justification that doesn’t need to be explained. Of course there probably are several thousands to perhaps a million reasons why I love her, and the fact that I can’t recite them all probably lends to her insecurities, but again, my love for her is a constant and needs no explanation.

I found this picture the other day and posted it on her Facebook page which actually sums up our relationship pretty well. It (of course is shown) is of two cats, one obviously looks grumpy about something, but is holding an umbrella over his female companions head. The caption reads, “I love you even when I’m angry.” She of course took it to mean that I was angry at her, and at the time I posted it I wasn’t angry at her in the least, but it is always important to remember these things. You can easily love someone when you are on the honeymoon, but how do you feel about the person when they piss you off, or drive you up the wall. I happen to be an expert on this, since I have been married just shy of what Elizabeth Taylor could once brag about.

That was the exact problem with my previous marriages. They couldn’t survive. Let’s get past the fact that they were the wrong women, or they had issues, or that I had issues. The simple fact is that the marriages didn’t have what it took to survive, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that we couldn’t love each other through the anger or the pain or when times got tough. This poor woman managed to live through being shy of 2000 miles away from me, her husband, and came out the other side after months of living that way relatively unscathed. We have had fights, we have had hard times, and we have managed to love each other through all of them. We’re at the point now where we have no fear that we won’t be able to love each other through any of the things to come.


Of course this brings me to the real part of being in love with someone just because you are. Most people spend a majority of their adult life remembering times that were considered the best of their lives. Some say it is when their children were born, others the day they were married, some look at the time they won something, or accomplished something. I don’t look at any of my glory years and I have had a few here and there. The older I get the harder it is to think of them but I know I have had my moments. I don’t dwell on a thing that has gone past in my life whether it is good or bad, because when it gets right down to it, every day I live right now is pretty damn good. For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health. I have no need to look back at my glory days because these are my glory days. Because I love someone.