Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blogging As a Way of Life


I still appear to write with a bit of a chip on my shoulder. I just posted Blogging Tip of the Day: Vol. 40, and I was like “Wow dude, you’ve been pretty dedicated to the blogging thing this year,” and that doesn’t even give the whole picture. Jeremy Crow’s Gym Rules: No 50 was posted this morning, and yesterday I posted Write Wing Thought of the Day: Vol. 47. This still doesn’t give me a very clear picture of the whole deal since to date, just this year alone, I posted over 500 pieces of Jeremy Crow Branded content, to over 30 different blogs, and I only own half of them. Even by my standards of a decade ago, when I was moderately popular, I have taken my game to a new level, and there is still a small part of me that looks at it all and says “take that!”

Of course there really is nobody that I am getting even with other than myself. How’s that for a kick in the pants? Does this mean I should let up on that chip sitting on my shoulder? Nope, because whatever imaginary reason I have had that chip on my shoulder has done me some good. It taught me that at one time I blogged for all the wrong reasons and the right reasons at the same time. I just had some translation issues that I didn’t realize until I was far enough removed from the old me to be the new me. Life is experience, and experience regardless of whether it is good or bad builds you into what you become. I became a less engaged writer while at the time becoming a more engaged member of the blogging community. At one time I thought it was supposed to be the opposite.

Now as I embrace a form of elder statesman status, purely because I lasted long enough to know some things, I have had the opportunity to watch some people out there in the blogasphere blossom into more engaged members of the blogging community as well. Come Hell or high water I don’t want to miss a thing with the people that I watch online. I am like a stalker of sorts, and they have all helped me to be a better me by watching them become a better them. Check out some of these characters and see if you understand what I am talking about.

The first person I would like to point out in the blogging world (and I assure you it would be a unanimous first and foremost person by anyone who knows us both) is Nael Noaman. When I first met him online he was a curious middle easterner who was concerned with the politics of his region. With hardly any prodding at all he became an outright ambassador for his region through his curiosity and his willingness to learn. I was honored the first time he did a guest blog posting on of all things a right wing political blog. He has since eloquently flowered into a writer that could put most of us to shame with his ability to cut through complicated problems and just lay them out for you. I don’t want to miss a minute of what a butterfly he will become as he grows as a writer.

Second I need to point out Rachel Rennie. In this beautiful soul we have a person who decided she wanted to be a romance writer, and not only does that well, but manages to be a very diverse, thought provoking writer. Again another person who just so happened to want to dip her toe in politics but not let it define her, she wrote a brilliant post for Write Wing Whacko to get it out of her system and then went back about the business of romance and fitness. Great things are in store for her, and I don’t want to miss a minute of it either.

Third we’re just going to call this a tie, because I don’t want to pick between the two, you have the two representatives of the British Isles, Adele Archer and Mike Raven. Adele has that sense of humor that takes you by surprise, and whenever she posts something new it is a sit down and “have a coffee while you enjoy it” type of writer. Mike Raven on the other hand doesn’t surprise you in the least, with his sense of humor that tends to hit you like a truck. The diversity of it is what gets me every time, as he talks about things so boring that even I wouldn’t touch them and makes them so interesting you just want to comment and be part of it all. Now that’s an artist! I am of course biased as both of them have written great things for my blogs as well. Of course it doesn’t mean that I haven’t been late for something because I didn’t want to miss what they posted, or wait for it either.


Just to show you that I am not always a self serving prick with my recommendation (just most of them, sheesh, go get your own blog if you don’t like it) I have to point out someone who hasn’t guest blogged for me (YET! Muahahahahahahaha!). The first is that he completely reminds me of what I used to write like (the good times not the bad times) and second because someone’s gotta have his back, Thomas Pickard. He finally did that blog split that basically means he left the cocoon and wants to separate his mundane from his professional. It all seems pretty professional to me, but what do I know.

Last I have to bring up Christian Touche. I mean to see poetry written on an iPhone from a truck driver might seem strange, but he's doing it. He appears to be getting better at it every time he does it too, so again, how can I miss out on this? In the end there are several dozen people that I watch like a hawk, but these are just a few of the ones I think everyone should keep an eye on. Not because I said you should, but because it is a great way to foster the craft of blogging. You don't even have to have a chip on your shoulder like I do, even if I don't quite remember why I have one.