Sunday, April 5, 2015

So This is Easter and What do You Know

Easter is what it is. It was the day that Jesus Christ revealed himself as resurrected the Sunday after Good Friday (the day he died from his crucifixion) and it is the most important holiday in Christianity. Like a lot of people I grew up assuming Christmas was, since it was the theoretical day that Jesus Christ was born, but this was from poor education more than anything else. I am and have never been Catholic, so the teachings of my church in general (Episcopalian) was at best woefully boring, and at best woefully incomplete. It wasn’t until I was in High School and my Freshman year the second reading assignment we were given, the bible, got me interested in holy works.

Now my school was NOT a religious school, it was just a good school that recognized the bible for a historical piece of work that should be required reading. I can imagine it being called a hate crime today to force anyone in a school to read the bible, but I guess the world hadn’t completely gone to hell by the mid-eighties. I have gone on to read as many of the holy works as I have had time for and had even taken some time along the way to study theology. In the end I do what I do, and it really has less to do with religion than it has to do with history if I even do talk religion.

This of course is Easter so I will wax a little theological in my blog as I am allowed to do, it is after all my blog. The bible is a great survival manual, but there are a lot of great things anyone can learn from it. Many people like to point out the slavery, the murder, the intolerance of homosexuality, and whatever else they can find to negate the book in general, but despite the things that the bible helped to end it was of course written in a different time. Hind sight is great for those that have no actual blood invested in the tales of the past, but it is incomplete. I personally hate the thought of slavery, and by the standards of 2015, I can look back and say “I think this practice was stupid,” but that doesn’t change the fact that my ancestors living at the time WERE SLAVES, and during the change from the BC’s to the AD’s it was common for conquered societies to be taken into slavery, even if we think it is stupid.

I really only had to get that out there because there are a lot of misinformed people out there who think because they have feelings that they don’t have to listen to reason. I just don’t feel like making points about Easter with every idiot who simply hates Christianity bringing up 2000 year old traditions as the reason that my opinions that follow are null. Getting back to the time of Easter, there is an awful lot that happened that were at the very least “life lessons” to be learned. First of which is always “don’t walk around proclaiming yourself the king of kings without getting killed for it.”

My favorite tale from before the crucifixion is of Judas Iscariot. This is a man who in the history of mankind is considered one of the most evil people ever. Most people have the story of Judas all wrong, as they beat the drum of selling out Jesus Christ for 30 pieces of silver. That is one way to look at it, but theologians have argued this mere formality of what makes Judas so evil for centuries, and it takes another measure of faith to believe what you believe. If you look upon the seven deadly sins (luxuria (lechery/lust), gula (gluttony), avaritia (avarice/greed), acedia (sloth/discouragement), ira (wrath), invidia (envy), superbia (pride) you will find the battle of the two characters that most engaged the final days, for both of them.

Jesus Christ appears to be the only man without deadly sins, and Judas Iscariot appears to be plagued with them. This is where the confusion comes in. Where Judas had been with Jesus, had seen the miracles, truly believed that he was the son of God, you can’t imagine that 30 pieces of silver were going to be worth killing Jesus. Quite the contrary, greed was the least of his sins as he was the one who kept the money FOR the apostles. No, first and foremost Judas was plagued with Pride and Wrath, as he was the only apostle to assume that should the Romans attempt to kill Jesus Christ it would invoke the wrath of God upon the entire empire of Rome, and later he was told to have given back the 30 pieces of silver, killed himself, and the money was used to buy the potter’s field. Let us not forget also that without the betrayal of Judas there would have been no salvation. It’s a scary set of motions that are all equal in their intention and misery.


Above all else remember on the Easter holiday whether you choose to be Christian or not, there are people out there that believe that their higher power gave her own child to be sacrificed in the name of all humanity. The gift should not go unappreciated or worse yet should not be met with the scorn that many Christians face around the world. The holiday itself is as complex as the book in which it came out of, but it is definitely a great read, that I encourage everyone to partake, especially if you have more habit of hating those that read it then actually reading it yourself.