Saturday, February 25, 2006

Mental Notes - Myspace Edition - Kids & PCs 101

Well it's been non-stop Myspace in the news this week since the Jake Robida thing happened, so the local radio station does a MySpace report every morning. I must tell you that it is pretty freaky, that the news organizations around here are simply doing work to get out of doing work. The report yesterday was on how kids totally dominate MySpace, and they had all of these kids on talking about how it makes them feel cool to have a MySpace page {just like us adults} while most of them actually lied on their age to sign up. The reasoning being, because there is more "stuff" they can do and more "people" that can reach them. I found it quite ironic, as this tied into my son's new computer that we built last weekend and his online activities.

Now keep in mind that Captain ADHD is 7 years old, and he hasn't had a computer that is comparable to mine before, so when I signed him up for his little AOL account that he can use all on his own on his big kids computer, and I left him to his own devices for about an hour I was totally shocked at what happened. When I came back to see if he had figured out how to get into games on AOL or learned how to get to Cartoon Network he was all aglow. "You have to see this!" he says to me as he points to the corner of his screen, where a big red button {like a button in a Looney Toons cartoon} was sitting. "If I hit this it turns the computer off," he says to me and shows me as he hits the button with his mouse. The "Panic Button Activated!" screen comes right up and his computer was off, and I thought that was SO COOL!

So after about 40 minutes of him showing his father how to do that I went running downstairs like I was the 7 year old and installed it. I was so excited when I got it to work, that I ran upstairs where he was now making little screen pets? So I watched him make little interactive animals that played with his mouse cursor, and would do tricks if you did things with your mouse, and again I had to have him spend an hour teaching me how to do that. Did I mention that he is 7 years old? I mean sure he is the greatest criminal mastermind of several generations but he hasn't even got time for the games as he is too busy making screen pets and e-mailing them to his friends? WOW! Ok so I can see where a kid is going to very easily get past such a sophisticated *cough cough system like MySpace after all. I can also see why adults might be fascinated to be around kids aside from the whole "I wanna touch your pee pee little girl" angle as too. Fact is unfortunately, that whining about that shit at the level of press just means that you never learned how to pay attention to your own kid's doings. Kid's AOL won't let my kids near this place, or Yahell 369, thank God.

Today was probably the MySpace update that struck me as being really humorous though as apparently job recruiters and universities now look people up on MySpace and then evaluate THAT into whether they are going to get a job or be accepted into a University. I can't even picture what a job recruiter would think as they looked at my very own MySpace page! "Well Mr. Smith we were evaluating this Jeremy Crow guy and we have determined that … um … well … he appears to be imaginative!" then after the owner of Supermegaconglomeration Inc. looks at her a little more sternly she will have to add, "OH GOD! This guy is a TOTAL pervert, who listens to nothing but KoRn and things that appear to be even WORSE! Don't even get me started on the stuff that his 80 something girlfriends or whatever put in his comments!!!" I'm also pretty sure that this practice {well and all of her D's & F's but you know how the blame game goes} will keep Lazius Boycrazius out of college too.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't care what anyone finds when they look for me online {as if I didn't make THAT pretty fucking obvious over the last year!} and if a company is going to throw money out to find out what flavor of "motion lotion" I prefer to use on my victim of choice, then more power to them. I hear there is even this freak that writes borderline slanderous shit about his employers while he paints himself as a Comic Book Hero and then has gone as far as to show it to the vice president of the company. Now that takes balls, and simply goes to show how little of a shit some janitors … oops … I mean people give about what people think of their actual inner workings. Ok ... I think I'll just shut up now ;8o)

Nothing that was printed here was intended to offend anyone, and if it did, fuck ya, you begged for it. If you believe that there are some measures that can be taken to change me, then please feel free to pray for me, and while you are at it yourself, because you read this far, and if you hated every minute of it, then you are an idiot, not me, or the other people who like what I have to say! .. Jeremy

Other Crap This Weirdo Publishes ...
Mental Notes & Random Musings {Daily Blog}
Mental Notes - MySpace Edition {Weekends}
Mental Notes - Yahell 369 Edition {Weekends}
Subscribe to Mental Notes - MySpace Edition
Join The Blogaholics MySpace Blog Ring
Join Blogaholics Anonymous {on MSN}
The Crow's Nest {The Homepage of J~ Crow}

All writings Copyright © 2006 & Beyond
Jeremy Fink and The Crow's Nest